When to use assert

Anton anton.schattenfeld at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 03:48:23 EDT 2014

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 11:35:50 PM UTC-8, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> [...]
>

> Here, the assertions are both defensive programming and checked
>
> documentation. I consider this to be a far superior solution than this:
>

> if target == x:
>
>     run_x_code()
>
> elif target == y:
>
>     run_y_code()
>
> elif target == z:
>
>     run_z_code()
>
> else:
>
>     # This can never happen. But just in case it does...
>
>     raise RuntimeError("an unexpected error occurred")
>

> This tempts some helpful developer to "clean it up" by removing the
>
> "unnecessary" test for value==c and removing the "dead code" of the
>
> RuntimeError. Besides, "unexpected error" messages are embarrassing when
>
> they occur, and they will.
>

> Design by contract is another good use of assertions. In design by
>
> contract, we consider that functions make "contracts" with their callers.
>
> E.g. something like this:
>

> "If you pass me an non-empty string, I guarantee to return the first
>
> character of that string converted to uppercase."
>

> If the contract is broken by either the function or the code calling it,
>
> the code is buggy. We say that functions have pre-conditions (the
>
> constraints that arguments are expected to have) and post-conditions (the
>
> constraints on the return result). So this function might be coded as:
>

> def first_upper(astring):
>
>     assert isinstance(astring, str) and len(astring) > 0
>
>     result = astring[0].upper()
>
>     assert isinstance(result, str) and len(result) == 1
>
>     assert result == result.upper()
>
>     return result
>

> The aim of Design By Contract is that in a correct program, the pre-
>
> conditions and post-conditions will always hold. Assertions are typically
>
> used, since (so the idea goes) by the time we release the bug-free
>
> program and put it into production, the program will be correct and we
>
> can safely remove the checks.
>

> Here's my advice when *not* to use assertions:
>

> * Never use them for testing user-supplied data, or for anything
>
>   where the check must take place under all circumstances.
>

> * Don't use assert for checking anything that you expect might fail
>
>   in the ordinary use of your program. Assertions are for extraordinary
>
>   failure conditions. Your users should never see an AssertionError;
>
>   if they do, it's a bug to be fixed.
>

> * In particular, don't use assert just because it's shorter than an
>
>   explicit test followed by a raise. Assert is not a shortcut for
>
>   lazy coders.
>

> * Don't use them for checking input arguments to public library
>
>   functions (private ones are okay) since you don't control the
>
>   caller and can't guarantee that it will never break the
>
>   function's contract.
>

> * Don't use assert for any error which you expect to recover from.
>
>   In other words, you've got no reason to catch an AssertionError
>
>   exception in production code.
>

> * Don't use so many assertions that they obscure the code.

I use ORM and often need to write a function that either takes an id of the record or already loaded model object.
So I end up writing a piece of code like below:

def do_something(instance):
    if isinstance(instance_or_id, int):
    	instance = Model.get(instance)

	assert isinstance(instance, Model)

	# Code that assumes that instance is an object of type Model

do_somthing is not a part of public library, though it is a public function, which can and intended to be used by other programmers; and assert should never happen if a client uses the function as planned.
I wonder if this use-case is controversial to this part:

> Many people use asserts as a quick and easy way to raise an exception if
>
> an argument is given the wrong value. But this is wrong, dangerously
>
> wrong, for two reasons. The first is that AssertionError is usually the
>
> wrong error to give when testing function arguments. You wouldn't write
>
> code like this:
>

> if not isinstance(x, int):
>
>     raise AssertionError("not an int")
>

> you'd raise TypeError instead. "assert" raises the wrong sort of
>
> exception.

Thanks,
Anton.