Quick Question About Setting Up Pytz

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Oct 18 22:50:18 EDT 2014

ryguy7272 <ryanshuell at gmail.com> writes:

> So, when I run it, the setup.py text file opens. Nothing runs; nothing
> installs.

You have somehow (either manually, or by answering a question to some
program) associated the ‘.py’ suffix with “Open this file in my text
editor”.

That's fine, but it means that if you don't want to edit the file but
instead want to execute it, you need to *explicitly* start Python:

    python /whatever/path/to/setup.py install

> This makes no sense whatsoever.

This is an issue with your operating system, so I would hope you can
learn more about that to distinguish what is causing your frustration
:-)

--
 \          “I got an answering machine for my phone. Now when someone |
  `\      calls me up and I'm not home, they get a recording of a busy |