How to debug Python IDLE?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 17:19:47 EDT 2014

On 15/10/2014 21:45, ryguy7272 wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:10:05 PM UTC-4, ryguy7272 wrote:
>> I'm wondering how to debug code in IDLE Python 3.4.  I found this.
>>
>> http://www.cs.uky.edu/~paulp/CS115F11/notes/debug/debug.html
>>

>> That looks pretty helpful, but mine is nothing like that.  All my controls are greyed out.  The debugger does basically...nothing.  All I get is messages like this.
>>

>> [DEBUG ON]
>>

>> [DEBUG OFF]
>>

>> [DEBUG ON]
>>

>> It doesn't debug anything at all.
>>

>> Any idea what's wrong?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Yes.  exactly.  So why is it throwing an error and how can I truly debug it?  Normally, you can step through code line by line, but I don't see any way to do this using Python.
>
> Man, I've been in all kinds of development roles, for over 10 years, using all kinds of languages, and I've never worked with anything as difficult as Python.  It seems so simple, but actually nothing works for me.  I've read 4 books on Python and I've been working on small snippets of code, for 2 months now.  Almost nothing at all has worked for me.

What did you not understand about the answers given by Terry Reedy and
MRAB?  Why are you using a debugger, I can't remember the last time I
needed one with Python?  Please don't try to fight the language, use the
1000s of man years experience here to make life easier for yourself.
Even if you've no Java experience try reading this
http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html and this
http://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/java-is-not-python-either.html to get a
feel for Python.  If you haven't read the Zen of Python do that as well.
  I'll let you look that one up :)

Further would you please access this list via
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or read and action
this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to prevent us
seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence