How to debug Python IDLE?

ryguy7272 ryanshuell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:45:59 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:10:05 PM UTC-4, ryguy7272 wrote:
> I'm wondering how to debug code in IDLE Python 3.4.  I found this.
>
> http://www.cs.uky.edu/~paulp/CS115F11/notes/debug/debug.html
>

> That looks pretty helpful, but mine is nothing like that.  All my controls are greyed out.  The debugger does basically...nothing.  All I get is messages like this.
>

> [DEBUG ON]
>

> [DEBUG OFF]
>

> [DEBUG ON]
>

> It doesn't debug anything at all.
>

> Any idea what's wrong?
>
> Thanks.

Yes.  exactly.  So why is it throwing an error and how can I truly debug it?  Normally, you can step through code line by line, but I don't see any way to do this using Python.

Man, I've been in all kinds of development roles, for over 10 years, using all kinds of languages, and I've never worked with anything as difficult as Python.  It seems so simple, but actually nothing works for me.  I've read 4 books on Python and I've been working on small snippets of code, for 2 months now.  Almost nothing at all has worked for me.