Flask and Django

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 10:06:07 EDT 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Juan Christian
<juan0christian at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I'm already familiar with Flask and I fell comfortable using it, but I
> see that no one uses it in "real business", everywhere I look regarding jobs
> and web dev, people always talk about Django, no one mentions Flask, no one
> uses Flask.

I can't really say about job postings, but presumably you've done the
searches and found that to be the case. But there are plenty of jobs
around that don't specifically name the technologies you have to use.
If you're asked to create a web site from nothing, it doesn't much
matter what you use, as long as you get the job done.

The other thing to note is that job postings and resumes form a
feedback loop. Why bother mentioning Flask on your resume, if no
employers ever ask about it? Why bother looking for Flask programmers,
if nobody ever mentions having experience with it?

My personal recommendation: Stick to Flask. It's a good system, and
there's no reason to run away from it. (That said, I've yet to use
Django, and I've used Flask for exactly one web site, which is why I
didn't respond to you when you first posted.) Learn Django if you feel
you need to, but don't avoid Flask just because nobody ever asks you
about it for a job posting.

ChrisA