trying idle

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Oct 9 05:26:25 EDT 2014

On 10/9/2014 2:52 AM, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Been using emacs for over 20 years and teaching python for 10.
> And getting fed up that my audience looks at me like Rip van Winkle
> each time I start up emacs...
>
> So trying out Idle...
>
> Some specific and some general questions:
> My audience consists of people having linux and windows and macbooks.
> Does Idle run on all these?

If macbook runs OSX, and the linux has recent tcl/tk installed, the
answer should be Yes

> [Remember seeing some adventures with Tkinter...]

One may have to install activestate tkc/tk on mac, depending on osx
version.  This page has details:
  https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk

> Particularly with macs my knowledge is at the level:
> "How the ^%*)( do you right click without a right-click button?"

I believe control-click, but Macs users could say better.

> So I would like to avoid something that is not quite working.
>
> Specific:
> Is there a way to cut-paste a snippet from the interpreter window
> containing ">>> " "... " into the file window and auto-remove the prompts?
> [I have a vague recollection of Terry showing somethin...]

I doubt I said anything.  I have said there is a tracker issue for the
feature (something similar to dedent).  I would like to add a general
facility for users to define reformat/transform functions to do
precisely what they want.  In particular, what to do with output lines?

--
Terry Jan Reedy