ruby instance variable in python

flebber flebber.crue at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 06:12:15 EDT 2014

 The end result of a confusing sentence with no

> context is that I have no idea what you are trying to say. Could you try
>
> explaining again please?
>

> Steven

No problem my reply from phone at work a little confusing.

So trying to determine what this does.
def ins_var
    @ins_var ||= nil
end

In particular I was guessing at this.

@ins_var ||= nil

Which I have now found on Rubyinside http://www.rubyinside.com/21-ruby-tricks-902.html

>From there

7 - Cut down on local variable definitions

Instead of defining a local variable with some initial content (often just an empty hash or array), you can instead define it "on the go" so you can perform operations on it at the same time:

(z ||= []) << 'test'

2009 Update: This is pretty rancid, to be honest. I've changed my mind; you shouldn't be doing this :)

So now that I know this I am still further lost to the point of the initially posted code so my kubuntu has ruby so I have run it, and honestly I need further definition on what that code was trying to acheive.

sayth at sayth-TravelMate-5740G:~/scripts$ ruby --version
ruby 1.9.3p484 (2013-11-22 revision 43786) [x86_64-linux]
sayth at sayth-TravelMate-5740G:~/scripts$ irb
irb(main):001:0> (z ||= []) << 'test'
=> ["test"]
irb(main):002:0> @ins_var ||= nil
=> nil