Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Fri Oct 3 15:55:24 EDT 2014

In article <m0lhbq$np4$1 at dont-email.me>,
 Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hmm, I'm not sure that the other projects would need an update. In Tcl
> world, there is the concept of stub libraries, an extra level of
> indirect linking provided by both the Tcl and Tk core. If the extensions
> link to the stub library (the standard way), they can be loaded into any
> later version of Tcl and do not directly depend on libtcl or libtk. If
> the extensions link directly to libtcl, they are either broken or very
> special (providing one's own interpreter, doing nasty stuff with
> internals etc.)

Even if there were no incompatibilities, on OS X with Tcl and Tk (and
other) frameworks, the version number is embedded in the path to the
shared library and the linker normally creates an absolute path at that.

$ otool -L _tkagg.so
_tkagg.so:
   /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 60.0.0)
   /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1197.1.1)
   /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl (compatibility
version 8.5.0, current version 8.5.15)
   /Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.5/Tk (compatibility
version 8.5.0, current version 8.5.15)

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org