Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Fri Oct 3 02:57:01 EDT 2014

Am 03.10.14 00:08, schrieb Ned Deily:
> So, to really support
> Tk 8.6, the only viable option at the moment would be for us to ship our
> own versions of Tk, like the Windows installer does.  But it wouldn't be
> acceptable, IMO, to force other projects and users to migrate to 8.6 in
> the middle of a release cycle, e.g. 3.4.x or 2.7.x.  Providing it as an
> option, though, would be OK.

Hmm, I'm not sure that the other projects would need an update. In Tcl
world, there is the concept of stub libraries, an extra level of
indirect linking provided by both the Tcl and Tk core. If the extensions
link to the stub library (the standard way), they can be loaded into any
later version of Tcl and do not directly depend on libtcl or libtk. If
the extensions link directly to libtcl, they are either broken or very
special (providing one's own interpreter, doing nasty stuff with
internals etc.)

	Christian