PYTHON LOGGING with StreamHandler and FileHandler

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Nov 25 10:06:35 EST 2014

Ganesh Pal wrote:

> Thanks for the hint ,  I was able to get the error messages on the console
>  by setting the StreamHandler level to WARNING .
>
> It works for  me know  but    one  LAST  question , it might sound simple,
> but  Iam not able to understand the difference between
>
> - (a)   ch.setLevel(logging.WARNING)  and ch.setLevel(logging.ERROR) ,
> both are giving the same output for the below program .

Quoting
<https://docs.python.org/2.7/library/logging.html#logging.Logger.setLevel>

"""
Logger.setLevel(lvl)
Sets the threshold for this logger to lvl. Logging messages which are less
severe than lvl will be ignored.
"""

INFO is both below WARNING and ERROR. If you add

logger.warn("whatever")

to your code 'whatever' will disappear from your log when you switch the
level from WARNING to ERROR.