PYTHON LOGGING with StreamHandler and FileHandler

Ganesh Pal ganesh1pal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 08:30:02 EST 2014

Thanks for the hint ,  I was able to get the error messages on the console
 by setting the StreamHandler level to WARNING .

It works for  me know  but    one  LAST  question , it might sound simple,
but  Iam not able to understand the difference between

- (a)   ch.setLevel(logging.WARNING)  and ch.setLevel(logging.ERROR) , both
are giving the same output for the below program .

import logging
import sys

# StreamHandler

formatter = logging.Formatter('%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s -
%(message)s')

root = logging.getLogger()
ch = logging.StreamHandler(sys.stdout)
ch.setLevel(logging.WARNING)  =========================> (  even with
ch.setLevel(logging.ERROR) I get the same output )
ch.setFormatter(formatter)
root.addHandler(ch)

# FileHandler

ch1  = logging.FileHandler('/var/tmp/myapp1.log')
ch1.setFormatter(formatter)
logger = logging.getLogger('myapp')
logger.setLevel(logging.DEBUG)
logger.addHandler(ch1)
logger.error('We have a problem')
logger.info('While this is just chatty')

# echo > /var/tmp/myapp1.log
# python final_logger.py
2014-11-25 13:16:35,772 - myapp - ERROR - We have a problem
# cat /var/tmp/myapp1.log

2014-11-25 13:16:35,772 - myapp - ERROR - We have a problem
2014-11-25 13:16:35,773 - myapp - INFO - While this is just chatty

Regards,
Ganesh