PyWart: "Python's import statement and the history of external dependencies"

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 01:25:31 EST 2014

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 4:37:53 PM UTC-6, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Chris Angelico wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, why does the stdlib need modules
> > for manipulating .wav and other sound files, but we have
> > to go to PyPI to get a PostgreSQL client?
>
> I suspect it's mainly for historical reasons. The wave
> module has been around since the very early days of
> Python when the stldib was smaller and the barrier
> to entry was lower. By today's standards, it probably
> wouldn't make it in.

Immigration policies evolve basically in the same manner.
When a country is founded in a land which is sparsely
populated, naturally the state will welcome any and all
immigrants (as noted in the "New Colossus"), but as the
population becomes more and more dense, the natural (and
wise) reaction is to limit, or even prohibit, the influx of
migrants.

 PSYCHOANALYSIS OF MIGRANT/STATE SYMBIOSIS:

The majority my readers would probably agree that any state
which projected such liberal immigration policies would be
doing so based on pure "selfishness", and they would be
correct, however, most would fail to realize that both the
migrant *AND* the state are basing their decisions on pure
selfishness.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PURELY SELFISH ACT!

For the state, gaining citizens means expanding it's
military power (you know, the whole "power-in-numbers"
thing), and expanding it's economic power (money, money,
money!), and last but not least, expanding it's tax base
(hey, did i mention money yet?).

GREED IS PROPAGATED BY THE SYNERGY OF "SYMBIOTIC SELFISHNESS"!

For the migrant, he seeks to gain or benefit by some means,
because if he did not gain something *positive* from the
interaction, then he would not be a migrant, no, by
definition he would be a *masochist*! Like the old saying
goes: "When your at the bottom, the only direction you can
go is up!". So by this definition, the migrant seeks to
utilize the resources in his "new land" for he failed to
utilize in his "home land".

FLIES DON'T CARE MUCH FOR VINEGAR, BUT THEY SURE LOVE HONEY!

In the balance of this "relationship", the state is more
venerable than the migrant. The state only survives *if* it
can maintain its population (but more importantly *IF* it
can maintain a "quality" population!), but the migrant can
survive under *any* state that is willing to provide for
him, he need not pledge allegiance to any one state, no, no,,,
and if at any point the relationship becomes untenable for
him, he has proven *already* his willingness to betray his
responsibility as an equal member of this symbiosis, by
simply re-locating!

But is the migrant *really* an equal member?  No. The
migrant does not share equally the burdens of the symbiosis.
Since the migrant is free to utilize the resources of the
state, and then simply pack-up and leave when the resources
are exhausted, the migrant is in-effect the master, and the
state is the slave. And although the state does extract a
tiny amount of power from the migrant, this power is useless
when one party can nullify the contract just because the
"honey pot" ran empty.

 CONCLUSION:

The migrant/state symbiosis is a fine example of how we (as
*weak* emotional beings) fall into these "emotional traps"
set by "forked tongued propagandist" in hopes of diverting
our attention away from reality. No being in this universe
makes any choice based on altruistic motives, no, altruism
is a mask worn by the most cunning of con-artist -- a true
weapon of deceit!