pack circles into a partial annulus

Cousin Stanley cousinstanley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 11:10:03 EST 2014

> I need to pack circles into a partial annulus ie part of a larger circle
> bounded by two radii and angles of  say 18 & 90.

  You might take a look at Descartes Circle Theorem ....

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes'_theorem

  Blub from google search ....

    In geometry, Descartes' theorem states that
    for every four kissing, or mutually tangent, circles,
    the radii of the circles satisfy a certain quadratic equation.

    By solving this equation, one can construct a fourth circle
    tangent to three given, mutually tangent circles.

  There is a screen saver in Debian Linux
  named Apollonian that uses this algorihm
  packing smaller circles into a larger circle ....

  The C source code for this screen saver
  is available under Debian ....

--
Stanley C. Kitching