html page mail link to webmail program

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 07:34:18 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 3:58 AM, alister
<alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:56:07 +0000, alister wrote:

There are plugins on chrome to make gmail the mail client.  Firefox I
think has a setting to do the same.  You should look into the
browser/OS settings before rolling your own, since using python means
setting up a web site.. all this to pick the default mail client?

>>> Really?  Huh.
>>>
>>> Okay, the explicit Python question:  Clicking on a mail link in a web
>>> browser can start an external program.  I would like that external
>>> program to be a Python script that: opens a new tab in the currently
>>> running browser (or a new default browser window), loads up the default
>>> web mail client (or one specified if there is no way to know/have a
>>> default), navigates to the compose pane (or starts there if possible),
>>> enters in the email address from the link that was passed to it, and,
>>> if not too much more, move the cursor to the subject field.
>>>
>>> Surely this can be done in Python.
>>
>> any chance you could fix your broken news reader?
>
> Apologies, all posts seem broken today. I am not sure of the cause yet
>

> --
> Boren's Laws:
>         (1) When in charge, ponder.
>         (2) When in trouble, delegate.