Trouble with python

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:14:12 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Ashleigh Deal <A.E.Deal at student.reading.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I am trying to use python as part of my part 3 project but my coding
>> has suddenly stopped working. I am using python(x,y) and it was
>> working perfectly a couple of weeks ago but recently it hasn't been.
>
> What has changed in the meantime, which could conceivably affect the
> program's behaviour?
>
>> Every time it runs, the program crashes and becomes unresponsive
>> resulting in me having to exit.
>
> When you say “the program crashes”, that implies it stops with a fatal
> error. What is the complete error message text?
>
> --
>  \     “If you ever teach a yodeling class, probably the hardest thing |
>   `\      is to keep the students from just trying to yodel right off. |
> _o__)                         You see, we build to that.” —Jack Handey |
> Ben Finney

A couple of points:  Its best to cut and paste your code directly into
your email text.  And use plaintext, not rtf (emails with different
fonts, etc.)  This way your code will be exactly what you typed.  You
should say which version of python.  I don't know what python(x,y)
means, but python 3.4 or 2.7 is useful information.

If you feel that the code used to work, but doesn't now, then how
about the data file?  Has the data you are studying changed?
> --

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com