[OFF-TOPIC] It is true that is impossible write in binary code, the lowest level of programming that you can write is in hex code?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Nov 5 17:27:35 EST 2014

On 05Nov2014 15:38, Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 21:30:06 -0500, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>>       If you have an old system with front-panel toggle switches, you
>set the
>> switches for binary values, and then push the "enter" switch.
>
>You've booted a PDP-8 then ;)

Not me, but I have booted a PDP-11. Same deal:-)

Our kernels had a patch in the idle loop that updated a specific memory address
with a regularly changing bit pattern (therefore the change rate slowed down
when the machine was busy). Post boot we'd set the memory view toggle swithces
to that address and be treated to a beautiful Cylon-like shuttling pattern of
red lights indiciating business.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by
accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents.      - Nathaniel Borenstein