IDE for python

Mark H Harris harrismh777 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:11:31 EDT 2014

On 5/29/14 11:44 AM, Paul Rudin wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>> I am curious how many of the editors people have been recommending have all of
>> the following Idle features, that I use constantly.
>>
>> 1. Run code in the editor with a single keypress.
>>
>> 2. Display output and traceback in a window that lets you jump from the any
>> line in the traceback to the corresponding file and line, opening the file if
>> necessary.
>>
>> 3. Search unopened files (grep) for a string or re.
>>
>> 4. Display grep output in a window that lets you jump from any 'hit' to
>> the corresponding file and line, opening the file if necessary.
>
> Emacs.

Emacs is the coolest tech editor out there, by far; however, the very
nature of Emacs (which makes it the coolest) is also unfortunately the
very thing that sucks about it... highly configurable (&extensible),
highly complex, intricately complicated; especially for novices.

The OP is looking for an "IDE-like" interactive environment, because he
is "uncomfortable" with IDLE.  IDLE is THE choice, however ---precisely
because IDLE is clean, elegant, and most importantly "simple". It is
simple to understand, and it is even simpler to use effectively... even
for novice pythonics. IDLE is straight-forward.

As Terry pointed out, IDLE is very useful and functional. And in the
modern python world is also very stable (IDLE used to get a black eye
because it had snags early-on).  Today IDLE works, has great features,
and actually helps new users get on-board with Python.

marcus