IDE for python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 29 12:39:18 EDT 2014

On 5/29/2014 5:41 AM, Wolfgang Maier wrote:
> On 28.05.2014 12:43, Sameer Rathoud wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am new to python.
>>
>> I am currently using python 3.3
>>
>> With python I got IDLE, but I am not very comfortable with this.

What bothers you the most.

> Seems like not too many other people on this list share my opinion, but
> let me just say that IDLE is a nice and sufficient (for my purposes) IDE.
> If you're used to eclipse, then stick with it, but I prefer IDLE over
> any text editor although admittedly some of its keyboard shortcuts are
> unusual choices.

I am curious how many of the editors people have been recommending have
all of the following Idle features, that I use constantly.

1. Run code in the editor with a single keypress.

2. Display output and traceback in a window that lets you jump from the
any line in the traceback to the corresponding file and line, opening
the file if necessary.

3. Search unopened files (grep) for a string or re.

4. Display grep output in a window that lets you jump from any 'hit' to
the corresponding file and line, opening the file if necessary.

--
Terry Jan Reedy