Fortran

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Thu May 29 10:26:07 EDT 2014

In article <8761l9pi3n.fsf at elektro.pacujo.net>,
Marko Rauhamaa  <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
<SNIP>

>Producing an effective JIT for Python seems like a formidable challenge
>but not impossible in principle. After all, the developer *could*
>provide that static typing information in, like, 99.9% of the code. That
>would be feat worthy of a Millennium Technology Prize. It would be like
>having the cake and eating it, too.

I'm totally flabbergasted by comments like this. I always thought that
the real point of JIT was that it can take advantage of type information
that is not available until runtime. If it can infer that something is
an integer, just before entering a loop to be executed millions of times,
that should be a big win, not?

albert at spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst