Python 3 is killing Python

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed May 28 23:51:16 EDT 2014

Terry Reedy, 29.05.2014 02:41:
> On 5/28/2014 3:23 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
>> Somthing I came across in my travels through the ether:
>>
>> https://medium.com/@deliciousrobots/5d2ad703365d/
>
> Claim: "Python 3 languishes in disuse."
>
> Fact: in 2013, there were around 14 million downloads of windows installers
> for each of 2.7.x and 3.3.x.

That can be explained. All those Python 3 downloads can clearly only come
from automatic "get me the latest version" downloaders, and when the users
realise that they got the totally wrong Python, they'll end up downloading
Py2.7 additionally. Thus, the download numbers for Py2 can obviously never
drop substantially below those of Py3, minus those users who give up after
the first try already (which explains the exception around the time Py3.4
came out).

I propose to rename Python 3.x to 1.7.x to prevent users from falling into
that evil trap. That will also make it clear again which Python is expected
to prevail in the long run.

Stefan :o)