Python 3 is killing Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 28 20:41:53 EDT 2014

On 5/28/2014 3:23 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> Somthing I came across in my travels through the ether:
>
> https://medium.com/@deliciousrobots/5d2ad703365d/

Claim: "Python 3 languishes in disuse."

Fact: in 2013, there were around 14 million downloads of windows
installers for each of 2.7.x and 3.3.x. 3.3 is over twice as popular as
3.2 (to be expected).
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/147822
In a year, we will see about 3.4.

Regardless of comparisons with 2.7, 3.3 is a success in absolute numbers.

Claim: Another great strength of Python 2 was that programs written in
it would almost always run on the next version of Python without much
alteration.

True. Changes and removals of deprecated features (like old style
classes) were put off until 3.0 (at the request of some of the noiser
users). Some improvements were relegated to future imports. By 2.7, the
load of accumulated 'technological debt' was as much as the developers
wanted to deal with, over and over.

--
Terry Jan Reedy