Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 28 16:15:45 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> No company that I work for is using python 3 - they just have too much of an
> investment in a python 2 code base to switch. I'm just saying.

And that's not a problem. Every whinging blog author seems to forget
that Python 2.7 support is going to continue for a long time! Yes, you
won't get new features. But the recommendation is "new and unfettered
projects should take advantage of Python 3", not "every Python 2
project needs to be ported". There've been some recent discussions
about exactly what security fixes and improvements can be backported;
the underlying guiding principle is "it's acceptable and expected that
there will be large, net-facing Python 2 applications for the
foreseeable future".

Or maybe the complaint is that there are fancy new features in Python
3.x that aren't in 2.7? Oh wait, that directly contradicts the whine.
So if Python 3 has added nothing, what's the rush to move onto it?

Whiners gonna whine.

ChrisA