tkinter errors out without clear message

Kai Song ksong at lbl.gov
Wed May 21 15:43:55 EDT 2014

Hi Terry,

I managed to find the problem! As you suggested, I installed newer version
of tk/8.5.15. Then, the same test will still fail, but the error message
has content now. It complains about missing font. I did some google, then
fix it by installing "dejavu-sans-fonts".

I laughed when I found the problem, and indeed, this small bug has bothered
me for a whole day.

Thanks again for your help. I would probably spend hours and days before
even think about trying newer version tk. :)

Best,

Kai