'Swampy' installation through 'pip'

Ronak Dhakan ronaksoni301 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 03:11:43 EDT 2014

I have just started learning python from How to Think Like a Computer Scientist. It requires me to install 'swampy'   (http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/swampy/install.html)   which requires me to install 'pip'   (https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/installing.html).   I think I was able to somehow install pip, but am unable to install swampy.

When i run   'pip install swampy'   in windows command prompt, I get an error:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronak>E:

E:\>pip install swampy
Fatal error in launcher: Unable to create process using '""E:\Program Files\Pyth
on 2.7.6\pythonw.exe"" "E:\Program Files\Python 2.7.6\Scripts\pip.exe" install s
wampy'

When I run   'pip install swampy'   in IDLE (Python 2.7.6 Shell), I get the following error:

Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> pip install swampy
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

with the word install highlighted in red.

I have installed pip by opening it in IDLE & running it from there. A new folder   'Scripts'   was created in the Python installation directory   'E:\Program Files\Python 2.7.6'   with the following files:

easy_install-2.7.exe
easy_install.exe
pip2.7.exe
pip2.exe
pip.exe

I have added   'E:\Program Files\Python 2.7.6'   &   'E:\Program Files\Python 2.7.6\Scripts'   to the   'path'   variable in Environment Variables in Windows.

I have added   'E:\Program Files\Python 2.7.6\Scripts'   to the   'PYTHONPATH'   variable in Environment Variables in Windows.

I have read a lot online trying to get it work, but now I am lost in the technical jargons. I might have missed some steps or done something incorrectly.

Please let me know where I went wrong or guide me on how to install swampy.

Thanks.

Ronak.