Everything you did not want to know about Unicode in Python 3

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri May 16 10:46:23 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-14, alister <alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 10:08:57 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> With the current system, all of us here are technically violating
>>> copyright every time we reply to an email and quote more than a small
>>> percentage of it.
>>
>> Oh wow... so when someone quotes heaps of text without trimming, and
>> adding blank lines, we can complain that it's a copyright violation -
>> reproducing our work with unauthorized modifications and without
>> permission...
>>
>> I never thought of it like that.

> I think I could make a very strong case that anything sent to a public
> forum with the intention of being broadcast has been placed into the
> public domain by this action.

At least in the US, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as "placing
a work into the public domain".  The copyright holder can transfer
ownershipt to soembody else, but there is no "public domain" to which
ownership can be trasferred.  IIRC, there is a way under Germain
copyright law to release certain rights.  The mere act of widely
widely distributing something does not in any way relinquish
copyrights.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Am I elected yet?
                                  at