Everything you did not want to know about Unicode in Python 3

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed May 14 08:52:25 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM, alister
<alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 10:08:57 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>> With the current system, all of us here are technically violating
>>> copyright every time we reply to an email and quote more than a small
>>> percentage of it.
>>
>> Oh wow... so when someone quotes heaps of text without trimming, and
>> adding blank lines, we can complain that it's a copyright violation -
>> reproducing our work with unauthorized modifications and without
>> permission...
>>
>> I never thought of it like that.
>>
>> ChrisA
>
> I think I could make a very strong case that anything sent to a public
> forum with the intention of being broadcast has been placed into the
> public domain by this action.

I don't think so. One can reasonably assume that anything sent to a
public forum is permissible to read, and to copy verbatim (although
there may be "presumed limits" on the copying, but probably not with
python-list). But if I quote your text and edit it, then you would
rightly complain, which is not the case with public domain text. The
question is whether or not it's fair to try to scare people with that
when they repeatedly use buggy software that inserts blank lines
everywhere :)

In case it's not obvious, I am NOT seriously contemplating pursuing
anything like this legally. It's just funny to contemplate.

ChrisA