PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:42:41 EDT 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> An everyday example: a word processor displays the word "hello" with
> "hel" in boldface and "lo" in italics. You put the cursor between the
> l's and type a letter. Should it be in boldface or italics?

Impossible to say, and one of the perpetual annoyances. Here's a web
site that I host:

http://gilbertandsullivan.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=92:2001-patience&catid=30:patience&Itemid=102

(Tiny URL: http://tinyurl.com/pphpkuk )

Why is "Lt Duke of Dunstable" different from all the other character
names? (By the way, I just picked an article at random from the
archive, and the first random pick had an example of what I'm talking
about. It's fairly prevalent on that site.) Now, if this were
hand-written HTML2, this sort of thing wouldn't happen; and, even
better, if the structure and formatting were properly separated (as in
my proposed web site redesign), they'd not only be guaranteed
consistent within a page, but also *across* pages.

Tagged text works well. In HTML pages, that means literal
notations and things. I wouldn't want to write code by writing a bunch
of words and then marking "This word is an assignment target, this one
is an object that you should find a method on, this one is the method
name, and these ones are the arguments". I want to put = . ( ) to mark
those. More efficient... MUCH more reliable. And, bonus: it's all
text.

ChrisA