PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu May 15 10:29:51 EDT 2014

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> And yet you routinely find people on this list recommending writing
> python to using a GUI-builder. On the one hand I am tempted to say
> "Sheesh!!" On the other, maybe the builders are still too
> half-assed... Dunno

That's like diagnosing cancer without invasive procedures, lab tests and
interviews: the doctor should be able to look at how pale you look and
if your skin has any funny bulges.

Thing is, programs and even text documents and spreadsheets have a lot
more abstract structure, dynamics and dependencies than the visible
façade. Block diagrams and graphics can be great presentation tools, but
nothing beats text in concise, explicit expressiveness.

An everyday example: a word processor displays the word "hello" with
"hel" in boldface and "lo" in italics. You put the cursor between the
l's and type a letter. Should it be in boldface or italics?

Who of you hasn't sworn at a Web editor that gets the formatting all
messed up when you have typed a backspace in the "wrong place?"

Marko