How do I access 'Beautiful Soup' on python 2.7 or 3.4 , console or idle versions.

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue May 13 10:48:55 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-13 12:59, Simon Evans wrote:
> Dear Ian,  and other programmers, thank you for your advice.
> I am resending the last message because this twattish cut and paste facility on my computer has a knack of chopping off ones original message, I will try to convey the right message this time :
>
> I have removed the original Beautiful Soup 4 download, that I had unzipped to my Beautiful Soup directory on the C drive.
> I downloaded the latest version of Beautiful Soup 4 from the Crummy site.
> I unzipped it, and removed the contents of the unzipped directory and placed contents in my Beautiful Soup directory, and again had the same output to my console re:
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
> Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Intel Atom>cd "c:\Beautiful Soup"
>
> c:\Beautiful Soup>c:\Python27\python setup.py install
>
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> error: package directory 'bs4' does not exist
>

> c:\Beautiful Soup>
> I have made a note of all the contents of the downloaded and unzipped BS4,ie the contents of my Beautiful Soup folder on the C drive, which is as follows:
>
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
>
> error: package directory 'bs4' does not existinit
> _html5lib
> _htmlparser
> _lxml
> 6.1
> AUTHORS
> conf
> COPYING
> dammit
> demonstration_markup
> element
> index.rst
> Makefile
> NEWS
> PGK-INFO
> README
> setup
> test_builder_registry
> test_docs
> test_html5lib
> test_htmlparser
> text_lxml
> test_soup
> test_tree
> testing
> TODO
> I can see no bs4 folder within the contents.
>   I can not see any setup.py file either, but this is how I downloaded it.
> I am only following instructions as suggested.
> I do not understand why it is not working.
> I hope someone can direct me in the right direction, as I seem to be stuck, and I don't think it has much bearing on my fluency or lack of it with Python.

I think I see your problem: you've unpacked everything into a single
folder instead of a folder hierarchy.

(It also looks like you have Explorer configured to hide the file
extensions. That's generally _not_ recommended.)

Try this:

#! python3.4
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
from os.path import splitext
import gzip
import tarfile

# The path of the downloaded file.
tar_gz_path = r'C:\beautifulsoup4-4.3.2.tar.gz'

# Unpack the .tar.gz file to a .tar file.
tar_path, ext = splitext(tar_gz_path)

with gzip.open(tar_gz_path, 'rb') as from_file:
     with open(tar_path, 'wb') as to_file:
         chunk = from_file.read()
         to_file.write(chunk)

# Unpack the .tar file to a folder.