PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Tue May 13 05:44:15 EDT 2014

On Tue, 13 May 2014 10:45:49 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:

> Ganesh Pal wrote:
>
>> Hi  Team ,
>>

>> what would be the best way to intent the below line .
>>
>> I have few lines in my program exceeding the allowed maximum line
>> Length of 79./80 characters
>>
>> Example 1 :
>>
>>    p =
>>
> Subprocess.Popen(shlex.split
(cmd),stdout=subprocess.PIPE,stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

>> Iam running pylint and it says  the above line is tool long how do I
>> limit it to 79 character without violating any rules
>>
>> ************* Module isi_corrupt C: 14,0: Line too long (88/80)
>> W: 19,0: Bad indentation. Found 6 spaces, expected 8
>
> (1) Newlines are allowed inside an open (, [, or {. So:
>
> p = subprocess.Popen(
>     shlex.split(cmd), stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
>     stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
>
> Other techniques:
>
> (2) Introduce helper variables:
>
> cmd = shlex.split(cmd)
> p = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
> stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
>
> (3) Import names:
>
> from subprocess import PIPE p = subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(cmd),
> stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)
>
> (4) Use aliases:
>
> import subprocess as sp p = sp.Popen(shlex.split(cmd), stdout=sp.PIPE,
> stderr=sp.PIPE)

or simply leave it alone
Pep 8 is a guide not a "Set in Stone" rule & even pep 8 does say that the
80 character limit can be exceeded if breaking the line would make the
code less readable

--
Catastrophic failure of the IDE cable???.
What are you doing to the poor thing, jumping on it?

	- Beau Kuiper on linux-kernel