PEP 8 : Maximum line Length :

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue May 13 04:45:49 EDT 2014

Ganesh Pal wrote:

> Hi  Team ,
>

> what would be the best way to intent the below line .
>
> I have few lines in my program exceeding the allowed maximum line Length
> of 79./80 characters
>
> Example 1 :
>
>    p =

Subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(cmd),stdout=subprocess.PIPE,stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

> Iam running pylint and it says  the above line is tool long how do I limit
> it to 79 character without violating any rules
>
> ************* Module isi_corrupt
> C: 14,0: Line too long (88/80)
> W: 19,0: Bad indentation. Found 6 spaces, expected 8

(1) Newlines are allowed inside an open (, [, or {. So:

p = subprocess.Popen(
    shlex.split(cmd),
    stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
    stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

Other techniques:

(2) Introduce helper variables:

cmd = shlex.split(cmd)
p = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

(3) Import names:

from subprocess import PIPE
p = subprocess.Popen(shlex.split(cmd), stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)

(4) Use aliases:

import subprocess as sp
p = sp.Popen(shlex.split(cmd), stdout=sp.PIPE, stderr=sp.PIPE)