idle glitch while building python 3.4 from sources

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed May 7 22:49:46 EDT 2014

In article <536A8C95.6050103 at gmail.com>,
 Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/14 1:19 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
> > If the Python build (the "make sharedmods" build step) can't
> > successfully build the _tkinter extension module (because, for example,
> > it couldn't find the Tk headers or libraries), the build step already
> > reports that it could not build _tkinter.
>
> hi Ned,   where is the report? Its not obvious; where does one look for
> this step output?  I did not see it on my build attempts last night. I'm
> assuming its in one of the logs. What would be nice is a final (at the
> end) report listing of the modules|extention modules that did not get
> built (for whatever reason).

$ sudo aptitude remove tk-dev tcl-dev
$ make clean
$ make
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -g -O0 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -IInclude -I./Include   -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o
Modules/python.o ./Modules/python.c
[...]
./python -E -S -m sysconfig --generate-posix-vars
[20560 refs]
running build
running build_ext
building dbm using gdbm
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers
[...]

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules
were not found:
_bsddb             _tkinter           bsddb185
sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the
module's name.

running build_scripts
$

> As an aside, the ensure pip is disabled for some reason (I'm reading the
> pep, and such, which is confusing). There isn't much to go on from the
> build listing about ensure pip either.

What do you mean by "disabled"?  Are you building from a source tarball
or from some package from your distribution?  You'll need to do a "make
install" for pip to be installed and it will be installed in your
--prefix bin (default, /usr/local/bin) as pip3 and pip3.4.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org