idle glitch while building python 3.4 from sources

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed May 7 14:19:58 EDT 2014

In article <lkds4j$khg$1 at speranza.aioe.org>,
 Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know its my own fault (because I should just know this) but I got to
> wondering about others who 'might not know' about the tcl/tk dev
> packages and would be scratching their heads about why _tkinter is
> missing and IDLE won't run, although tcl/tk is installed correctly and
> running?

If the Python build (the "make sharedmods" build step) can't
successfully build the _tkinter extension module (because, for example,
it couldn't find the Tk headers or libraries), the build step already
reports that it could not build _tkinter.  It does the same for all of
the other extension module builds, some of which also require
third-party headers and libraries, like those from OpenSSL, zlib, bz2,
etc.  Also, most people don't build Python from source - they install
Python from a distributor - and the people who do generally know (or
learn quickly) what dependencies are needed for their needs.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org