multiprocessing in a while loop?

Johan Llewellyn johan.llewellyn at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 14:45:40 EDT 2014

hi, I am struggling to understand how to leverage python's multiprocessing module in a while loop.  the examples I have found seem to assume it is known ahead of time how many items need to be processed.

specifically, I am reading from an external queue.  I currently process items one at a time until the queue is empty.  I wrote a wrapper function to handle connecting to the queue, pulling the next message, and deleting it when I am done.  ideally, I'd like to modify this wrapper function to take an additional argument (processes) to specify the number of messages to process simultaneously.

I've attached a script that captures what I am doing now.  unfortunately, the external queue object is not publicly accessible and I'm not quite sure how to set up a local object that would support testing.  any suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks,
Johan