Unicode 7

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri May 2 06:39:34 EDT 2014

On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:15:41 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 19:02:48 -0700, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > - Worst of all what we
> > *dont* see -- how many others dont see what we see?

> Again, this a deficiency of the font. There are very few code points in
> Unicode which are intended to be invisible, e.g. space, newline, zero-
> width joiner, control characters, etc., but they ought to be equally
> invisible to everyone. No printable character should ever be invisible in
> any decent font.

Thats not what I meant.

I wrote http://blog.languager.org/2014/04/unicoded-python.html
 – mostly on a debian box.
Later on seeing it on a less heavily setup ubuntu box, I see
 ⟮ ⟯ ⟬ ⟭ ⦇ ⦈ ⦉ ⦊
have become 'missing-glyph' boxes.

It leads me ask, how much else of what I am writing, some random reader
has simply not seen?
Quite simply we can never know – because most are going to go away saying
"mojibaked/garbled rubbish"

Speaking of what you understood of what I said:
Yes invisible chars is another problem I was recently bitten by.
I pasted something from google into emacs' org mode.
Following that link again I kept getting a broken link.

Until I found that the link had an invisible char

The problem was that emacs was faithfully rendering that char according
to standard, ie invisibly!