unicode as valid naming symbols

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 31 16:12:08 EDT 2014

On 3/31/2014 1:40 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:

> Second, at least in the case of decorators, while I don't dispute that
> they can harm readability, I think that in the majority of cases they
> actually help it.  That's because the @ syntax placed before a
> function or class clearly denotes that the construct is being
> decorated by something.  The alternative to the syntax is to place an
> assignment like "f = decorate(f)" *after* the definition, where it is
> much less prominent.

Plus, it means writing and reading the name 3 times instead  of 1. This
is not much of an issue for 'f', but it is for names like
'modify_x07_with_qz46pt'. Names like this occur when interfacing to
external systems that dictate the names needed (as when interfacing
Python to Objective-C  on Macs).

--
Terry Jan Reedy