Examples of modern GUI python programms

Metallicow metaliobovinus at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 01:47:32 EDT 2014

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 9:16:06 PM UTC-5, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 03/30/2014 05:16 PM, D. Xenakis wrote:
>
> > What i need is to develop an android looking program (entirelly in
> > python) for windows, but dunno if this is possible (most propably
> > is), and which tool between those would help me most: tkinter -
>
> > wxpython - pyqt - pygtk .
> >
> > Any examples and suggestions are most welcome.
>
> Your best bet is to use PyQt.  I bet you can make some android-looking
> UIs using QtQuick (Javascript) with a bit of Python glue.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that Qt is the way to go just yet...
The author needs to weigh the benefits of each toolkit and make a decision for themselves.

As far as Qt is concerned, it is a bit more geared towards mobile apps at this point in its python life.
It is a bit nicer with the animated stuff also.
wxPython on the other hand has way better community support than QT side and has been around longer, so that may be a consideration.
Tk is alright and bundled with python but requires more work than the others and isn't always native looking without a bit of extra work.

Overall if you are fine with using a GUI builder for the GUI framework, then QT has a nice put-it-all-together IDE.
If you are looking for a really customized(hand-tweakable) GUI with relative hassle, then I would recommend wxPython or if you know Tk this would be ok for the majority of stuff, but requires a bit more work.

Another thing to consider is that if you are actually wanting this to work on a android or mobile device QT would be a better choice. Especially if touch support is an option.
If you are only wanting it to look like android themed app, the other choices provide better long term benefits.

As far as pygtk, that fairs better with linux, and in my opinion could use some updates platform-wise rounding the bugs out overall.

My opinion would be wxPython if not actually using for a mobile, or PySide if you are. Both of these have acceptable licenses if you want to go commercial also without having to pay for commercial library usage.