unicode as valid naming symbols

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 01:00:49 EDT 2014

On Saturday, March 29, 2014 12:25:45 AM UTC+5:30, rand... at fastmail.us wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014, at 11:10, Rustom Mody wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity how do/did you type that?
> > When I see an exotic denizen from the unicode-universe I paste it into
> > emacs and ask "Who are you?"
> > But with your 'def' my emacs is going a bit crazy!

> Your emacs probably is using UCS-2 or UTF-16. The former can't handle
> characters above 65535 at all, the latter stores them as if they were
> two characters [so code that's not expecting them will handle them
> incorrectly]

My current diagnosis (with the help of more knowledgeable folks than myself)
is that its a font problem.

There simply doesn't exist a font (or more likely I dont know of) that
- is readable
- is scaleable
- spans the whole 17*65536 unicode space

At least out here:
- gnu-unifont does not cover things outside BMP
- dejavu seems to have some bugs