meta language to define forms

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Mar 28 09:04:50 EDT 2014

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> On Friday, March 28, 2014 5:44:48 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> I don't thing anything should need to upgrade config files.
>
> Strange thing to say.
> There may be new config options.

The missing options should default to the old behavior.

> The defaults may be altered with good reason.

Occasionally, but the reason had better be *really* good. It is like
changing a programming API. You live with your bad decisions.

> And what apt does in this case is to drop you into some half-assed
> interactive (so-called) mode saying some file has changed -- Do you
> want to keep old, choose new, drop into a shell, or some other
> half-baked options

RPM won't overwrite modified config files but just places the new
version there next to the old one under a different name (and gives a
warning). RPM isn't perfect, but that is the sane thing to do.

Marko