meta language to define forms

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 08:25:26 EDT 2014

On Friday, March 28, 2014 5:44:48 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:

> > On the other hand in linux I find that when something is upgraded and
> > needs to upgrade *its own* config files in /etc it can often have
> > trouble.

> Linux (service) configuration has given me a lot of grief as well.
> However, I don't thing anything should need to upgrade config files.

Strange thing to say.
There may be new config options. The defaults may be altered with good reason.
This needs a new file

OTOH the user may have his own old altered defaults.
So integrating the two is not exactly an easy problem.

And what apt does in this case is to drop you into some half-assed
interactive (so-called) mode saying some file has changed -- Do you
want to keep old, choose new, drop into a shell, or some other half-baked
options

> The packaging tools leave the old config file in place, which is the
> right thing.

They dont exactly do that -- see above