Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Mar 25 08:35:02 EDT 2014

In article <281c8ce1-4f03-4e93-b5cd-d45b85e89e7e at googlegroups.com>,
 Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> And Chris is right in (rephrasing) we may have unicode-happy OSes and
> languages. We cant reasonably have unicode-happy keyboards.
> [What would a million-key keyboard look like? Lets leave the cost aside...]

In a true unicode environment, the input device may be nothing like our
current keyboards.

Star Trek has been amazingly accurate about it's predictions of the
future.  Doors that open automatically as you approach them are now
routine.  One thing they messed up on was mobile devices; they assumed
tricorders and communicators would be separate devices, when in reality
our phones now perform both functions.  Today's 3-d printers are giving
replicators a run for their money.  Some people still get bent out of
shape when a white man kisses a black woman, but we're working on that.

When's the last time you saw somebody typing commands to a computer on
Star Trek?