Time we switched to unicode? (was Explanation of this Python language feature?)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:19:50 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Mark H Harris <harrismh777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally think the answer is extended key maps triggered by meta keys
> shift ctrl opt alt command |  which call up full alternate mappings of
> Greek|Latin|Math|symbols &c which can be chosen by mouse|pointing device.
>

> The mac calls these keyboard viewer, and character viewer. In that way the
> full unicode set can be available from a standard qwerty keyboard without
> modifying the hardware right away.

I can get up a character map on any platform fairly easily, and if
not, I can always Google the name of the character I want and copy and
paste from fileformat.info or some other handy site. It's not that
hard. But if I want to say "copyright", it's still quicker for me to
type nine letters than to hunt down U+00A9 © to paste in somewhere.
Even more so with lambda, which is a shorter word and a less common
symbol (having an easy way to type A9 isn't uncommon these days, but
not many give an easy way to type U+03BB). I'm much more comfortable
typing that out.

ChrisA