Question about Source Control

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 04:08:17 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I don't think that *version* control is the right model to describe what
> hg and git do, although it may be appropriate for subversion. hg doesn't
> manage *versions*, it manages changes to source code ("changesets").

Meh... Is there any real difference? With git, I can check out any
tree state I like ("give me the 50th parent of the current HEAD"), so
in that sense it effectively stores versions - at least, it can
retrieve or recreate versions. Does it store versions and optimize
them by recording only the difference, or record differences and
replay them to recreate a state? Two sides of the same coin.

ChrisA