Question about Source Control

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 18 03:55:51 EDT 2014

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 17:47:51 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> "Frank Millman" <frank at chagford.com> writes:
>
>> I feel that I have just not grasped the basics yet, so any assistance
>> that puts me on the right path is appreciated.
>
> Here is “Hg Init”, a tutorial for Mercurial <URL:http://hginit.com/>.
>
> (“source control” is not the most common term for this; what we're
> talking about is a “version control system”, or VCS. But some Git users
> may disagree.)

I don't think that *version* control is the right model to describe what
hg and git do, although it may be appropriate for subversion. hg doesn't
manage *versions*, it manages changes to source code ("changesets").
Mercurial describes itself as a "distributed source control management
tool", so I think the term "source control" is quite appropriate.

http://mercurial.selenic.com/

--
Steve