which async framework?

jkn jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 13:13:10 EDT 2014

Hi Grant

On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 16:52:18 UTC, Grant Edwards  wrote:

[...]
> And don't bother with device drivers for the network adapters either.
> Just map their PCI regions in to user-space and twiddle the reigisters
> directly!  ;)
>
> [I do that when testing PCI boards with C code, and one of these days
> I'm going to figure out how to do it with Python.]

Heh - just about the first 'real' thing I did in Python, back around 2001
or so, was to write a 'Device Driver' library to allow direct access to
memory-mapped I/O via Python. It compiled under both Windows and Linux
and I proved it using an ISA I/O board with loads of 8255s and LEDs
hanging off it.

As well as a learning exercise it was sort-of intended as a first step
toward robotic control using Python. I hopen to rework it for similar
PCI-based I/O boards (to do the sort of thing you mention), but never got
a round tuit...

    Cheers
    jon N