which async framework?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 07:18:58 EDT 2014

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:

> Now, I've taken a brief look at the new asyncio and it looks as if it
> has everything one would hope for (and then some). You'd still need to
> supply the protocol implementations yourself.

Tulip (the new async module) is nice. But I am a bit confused as to how it
combines the IOCP model on Windows with the "readyness" signalling (epoll,
kqueue) on Linux, *BSD and Apple. Because these paradigms are so inherently
different, I don't see how both can be used effectively with the same
client code. But Guido/BDFL is a smart guy and probably knows this better
than me :)

Another thing is that there is no IOCP support on Solaris, AIX and z/OS
using Tulip, only Windows. But Windows is not the only OS with IOCP. I'd
prefer that over /dev/poll any day (does Tulip use /dev/poll by the way?)

Sturla