which async framework?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 03:53:10 EDT 2014

On 10/03/2014 21:57, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to serve the rest of the web api using a pyramid
>> wsgi app if possible, and I'd like to be able to write the things that
>> process requests in and validation out in a synchronous fashion, most
>> likely spinning off a thread for each one.
>
> If you are writing 'standard' blocking, synchronous code, I am not sure
> why you would use any of the above.

The idea I have is to do all the networking async based on a declarative
set of messages in and recording all messages out and then hand that set
of messages off to a syncronous layer to make assertions, record into a
database, etc.

>> The protocols are all financial (do we really not have a pure-python FIX
>> library?!) but none are likely to have existing python implementations.
>>
>> How should I pick between the options? What would people recommend and
>> why?
>
> I know nothing of tornado. I personally would use asyncio over twisted
> if I could because it is simpler, in the stdlib, has the option to write
> 'untwisted' non-blocking code similar to blocking code, and the docs
> easier for me to read.

Thanks.

Guess I was expecting more of a response. I suspect I'll just end up
cross-posting to the various mailing lists, which I hope won't cause too
much offence or kick off any flame wars.

I'm faced with a difficult choice that I suspect many in our community
are, just trying to find out how to make the best decision :-)

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk