which async framework?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:57:58 EDT 2014

On 3/10/2014 4:38 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I see python now has a plethora of async frameworks and I need to try
> and pick one to use from:
>
> - asyncio/tulip
> - tornado
> - twisted
>
>  From my side, I'm looking to experimentally build a network testing
> tool that will need to speak a fair few network protocols, both classic
> tcp and multicast-based, and have a web api living on top of it that
> most likely will have a websocket for pumping data to the browser.
>
> I'd like to be able to serve the rest of the web api using a pyramid
> wsgi app if possible, and I'd like to be able to write the things that
> process requests in and validation out in a synchronous fashion, most
> likely spinning off a thread for each one.

If you are writing 'standard' blocking, synchronous code, I am not sure
why you would use any of the above.

> The protocols are all financial (do we really not have a pure-python FIX
> library?!) but none are likely to have existing python implementations.
>
> How should I pick between the options? What would people recommend and why?

I know nothing of tornado. I personally would use asyncio over twisted
if I could because it is simpler, in the stdlib, has the option to write
'untwisted' non-blocking code similar to blocking code, and the docs
easier for me to read.

--
Terry Jan Reedy