Python performance

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Mar 8 13:56:04 EST 2014

On 3/8/14 7:53 AM, JCosta wrote:
> I did some work in c# and java and I converted some application to Python; I noticed Python is much slower than the other languages.
>
> Is this normal ?
> Thanks

Your question, and the replies so far in this thread, have overlooked
the difference between language and implementation.  Python as a
language has no inherent speed.  Your question is really about CPython,
the reference and most-common implementation of the language.  It
interprets virtual-machine bytecode, and so will pay a penalty for
compute-bound code.

But PyPy is another implementation of Python.  It uses a JIT to produce
native code automatically, and can impressively speed up the execution
of Python programs.  You should give it a try to see if it will help in
your situation.