Reference

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Mar 5 00:06:37 EST 2014

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 19:36:38 -0800, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Python's 'is' leaks
> the machine abstraction. 'id' does it legitimately (somewhat), 'is' does
> it illegitimately

and then later in another post:

> "is" in python leaks machine representations
> into the otherwise clean HLL abstraction in python

Rather than respond with incredulity and declare that you have no idea
what you are talking about, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and
accept the possibility that I am wrong, or possibly misunderstanding you.

Can you explain what machine representations are leaked into Python by
the is operator?

Do you see this as an accident of implementation, a bug that might be
fixed, or a misfeature that was deliberately designed?

Can you elaborate on why id() is legitimate and "is" is not?

--
Steven